WHAT’S THIS MESSAGE ABOUT?
Many of us are on a never-ending search for something to make us happier. We all want to find more meaning, to deepen our sense of significance, and to connect with something that will give us fuller, happier and freer lives. At first blush, the church-answer is “Jesus’ is what we’re looking for”, but Jesus’s question to John’s disciples invites us to think more deeply about what we’re really looking for. We need to listen to our hearts and discover what we desire most. Then it is our responsibility to ask for what we want.
Questions for discussion:
- What do you think was the main point of Pastor Matt’s message?
- If you were able to receive whatever you wished for and were asked, “What one thing do you need that will make you truly happy,” what would that one thing be?
- Do you think God would agree with your response?
- What do you think is holding you back from acquiring that “one thing?”
Do something about it:
Set aside time to name the thing we want most, and begin thinking about how we’re going to get there and how God would have us pursue that desire. Identify what that first step is and seek to accomplish it this week.
John 1:38; Matthew 6:33; Luke 18:18-34; John 10:10
* If you would like to do some more digging, the book “Questions God Asks Us” by Trevor Hudson is a great resource. It can be found on the following website: http://bookstore.upperroom.org/Products/9990/questions-god-asks-us.aspx