WHAT’S THIS MESSAGE ABOUT?
Jesus was often in the habit of providing personal illustrations that would challenge our thinking regarding “the way things are.” His washing of the disciples’ feet went against social convention and provided an “upside down” example of what a “servant leader” looks like. His message to us: If we follow His example, we will learn that fulfillment, joy and blessing come when we are willing to bless others through service.
Questions for discussion:
- What do you think was the main point of Pastor Matt’s message?
- Have you ever had your feet washed or washed someone else’s feet? How did it make you feel?
- Is it easier for you to serve or be served? Why?
- After reading/hearing this story, what would your answer be to the question, “Do you know what I have done for you?”
- Jesus stated that if we “do these things we will be blessed.” What act(s) of service can you do to bless others and apply these blessing to your life?
Do something about it:
We all have “spheres of influence”: people and situations that touch our everyday life. Choose one of those opportunities and find a way to share God’s blessings through an act(s) of service.
John 13:1-15; Matthew 20:20-28; Luke 22:24-27; James 1:25;
* If you would like to do some more digging, the book “Questions God Asks Us” by Trevor Hudson is a great resource. It can be found on the following website: http://bookstore.upperroom.org/Products/9990/questions-god-asks-us.aspx