WHAT’S THIS MESSAGE ABOUT?
What do tears represent to you? Do they represent weakness? Do you see them as a reflection of hidden needs and emotions? Are they an expression of defeat? Jesus’ resurrection, and Mary’s initial reaction to the empty tomb helps us to better understand that as believers, when we mourn, we do not mourn as those without hope. Jesus victory over death and all the struggles that life can pose frees us to express those emotions with the assurance that God sees and cares about our tears.
Questions for discussion:
- What do you think was the main point of Pastor Matt’s message?
- What are some things that make you cry?
- Why do you think Jesus asked Mary, “Why are you crying?”
- Share one experience when you moved through tears to new beginnings.
Do something about it:
First, be willing to ask yourself, “Why am I crying?” Examine your pain, put words to your sorry and allow your tears to find their voice. Second, share your tears with God. Even King David used this an outlet for his fears, frustrations, and cries for help. Finally, if there is someone in your life that you are able to be totally vulnerable with, share your tears with them and allow them to help you process through your pain.
Digging deeper; John 20:11-16; 1 Corinthians 15:50-58; John 11:17-35; Revelation 21:1-4
* If you would like to do some more digging, the book “Questions God Asks Us” by Trevor Hudson is a great resource. It can be found on the following website: http://bookstore.upperroom.org/Products/9990/questions-god-asks-us.aspx