WHAT’S THIS MESSAGE ABOUT?
Have you ever wondered what your “calling” was? Have you ever desired to serve the Lord, but felt unqualified to do the things that were made available to you? Do you have a strong desire to serve but just need some direction? The story of Moses speaking to God through the burning bush is one way God helps us define what we are equipped to do. When God commissions Moses to save the nation of Israel from slavery Moses’ makes excuses and implies that he is not qualified. God’s response to Moses’ objections is simply, “What is that in your hand?” Is God asking each of us the same question?
Questions for discussion:
- What do you think was the main point of Pete’s message?
- What do you think God meant when He asked Moses, “What is that in your hand?”
- What qualified Moses to complete the task God had sent him to do?
- What life experiences do you bring to the table that might have equipped you for ministry?
Do something about it:
First, start with an honest self-assessment: What do I do well? What experiences have I had that might equip me to do ministry? What is it about my personality/demeanor that gives me some idea of the types of people I might connect best with? Second, look closely at the opportunities that are right in front of you. Ask yourself, “Who or what, in my spheres of influence, need ministry?”
Exodus 3:1-4:14; Jeremiah 1:4-9: Psalm 139:1-6; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 1 Corinthians 12:4-11; Romans 12:3-8; Ephesians 4:11,12
* If you would like to do some more digging, the book “Questions God Asks Us” by Trevor Hudson is a great resource. It can be found on the following website: http://bookstore.upperroom.org/Products/9990/questions-god-asks-us.aspx